July 26, 2011

Closure (pt.49)

The rain fell heavy today; it fit perfectly due to the circumstances. Analisette sat at the first pew of the church and looked back at the river of people in black attire. They mumbled what she hoped was good memories and every eye was moist with fresh tears, with the exception of Rick’s family. She ignored them and focused her attention to the entrance.  Adrine walked in and made his way to her.
Analisette was so happy that everyone who knew Lolita and Rick showed up. She was worried that an ad in the newspaper and online wouldn’t have been enough to reach out to everyone. She was also so grateful for the help from fellow tenants of New City Apartments, especially Minerva. Minerva hadn’t stopped looking for the best plot and tombstone until she found the perfect one. She had even suggested that everyone come back to the Apartment building to eat and share stories, even paid for the caterer and drinks.
Adrine sat next to Analisette and put his arm around her then said, “Babe, they said in about five to ten minutes they will bring them in and the priest will start the service.” She nodded then replied in a worried tone,”Im going to go to the bathroom and throw some water on my face.” Adrine removed his arm and said,”You want me to go with you?” She shook her head no and walked up the aisle. She seen Samantha and Marcus sitting with Henrey, Lilliana and her husband Gregorio. She nodded her head to them as they waved and mouthed ‘are you ok?’ reassuring them. As she continued to walk she saw Clifford Baxtor. He stood up and hugged her, “How are you Analisette?” She frowned, “Hanging in there, how about you?” He looked over to Minerva who was sitting alone. Analisette looked over at Minerva then back to him, “Go and sit with her, comfort her.” Clifford walked over to her and sat down.
Minerva looked at him then to Analisette as she watched. “She said I should come and comfort you,”Clifford stated. Minerva looked at him with attitude, “You shouldn’t have if it wasn’t what you wanted to do.” He looked at her hand as she began to fiddle nervously with her fingers, “I wanted to, I was worried you didn’t want anything to do with me.” Her hands stopped and she looked down, “I want you in my life, I love you, but you lied to me.” He held her hand and said, “Ill never do that again, I promise you.” She looked up at him and seen the truth in his eyes, “I want us to take our time, please, I just don’t want to get hurt again.” He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed, “As long as the time is ours, I’ll wait forever.” They smiled as she rested her head on his shoulder.
Analisette turned off the water and grabbed a paper towel and dried her face in the church bathroom.  A woman walked into the bathroom, she took a second to look at Analisette then walked over to the mirror and began checking her makeup. Analisette looked over at her; she was older and looked remarkably like Rick. Suddenly she looked at Analisette and said, “It’s impolite to stare.” Analisette looked away then replied,”I’m sorry, you just look a lot like Rick.” The woman stopped what she was doing and smirked, “Rick was my son.” Then continued checking her makeup and speaking, “He was a little shit, always disobeying me or his bastard of a father. We haven’t seen or talked to him in years. His way of punishing us, I suppose. He could have had everything that we do, but no, he wanted to move to the City and be a struggling artist. Look where that got him, killed with a whore.” Analisette was shocked that his mother could speak this way about her son, and of Lolita. The woman looked at her expression and began to walk out of the bathroom when Analisette jolted for the door and held it closed, “You never deserved him, and she wasn’t a whore she was a woman, more of a woman than you will ever be.” The woman looked snobbishly at Analisette and said, “And who are you to talk?” Analisette released the door and said, “I was the one to arrange this service-everything for your son and what would have been your daughter in law.” The woman straightened herself up and watched as Analisette left the bathroom holding her head high.
Analisette was in her seat with Adrine for a moment before they brought in Rick and Lolita’s caskets. The organ played a sad song as everyone stood and watched the silver and champagne colored caskets as they were placed in front of the alter.  The priest looked at everyone and signaled for everyone to sit and began to read what he had written, “Today we are all here to give peace to the souls of Lolita Cruz and Rick Stevens. Lolita and Rick had many things in common. For one, they were both free spirits. Both determined on being independent and different no matter the costs. I had the privilege of meeting both not together but at different times. Lolita came to me concerned and troubled about men, when I told her that god would guide her, she told me,”God,Father,what am I paying you for?” I remember her laughing and how quickly she apologized and said, “I hope he works quickly.” With Rick he came to me and asked me if God had forgotten him, when I asked him why would he say such a thing he told me that he was sick of looking at everyone happy with another and how he was alone. I was quick to reply as I did with Lolita, that God would guide him. And God guided them to each other. It has been a long time since I have seen both, so let me introduce a close friend of theirs Analisette Gomez .” Analisette took a deep breath and stood up and walked to the altar.  
She looked out to everyone that was there and said, “Before I read a poem that I have prepared for them I want to say thank you to everyone being here and helping to make this possible, they would have been more grateful than I could possibly express. Later we will have food and beverages at New City Apartments so we could share stories and fond moments. I know-I knew the person who Lolita was, and how she did things that I would never mention because they don’t matter anymore, she changed. A complete turnaround from what she was and that person, that Lolita, I will always remember. And Rick, I never knew him until he saved Lolita. But he was the kindest, funniest, most dedicated man I’ve ever met. The paintings you see here and throughout the church are done by Rick, I never knew how great of an artist he was until I seen them.” Analisette looked down and held back her tears and continued, “I knew that they would have made it together, I knew in my heart that they would get married, have kids and prosper. They were just those types of people that could take any situation and make it great. So I know in heaven, they are making the best of it. On that note, the title of the poem is Like a Phoenix.”
She took a deep breath then spoke,” Blues and green your feathers preen. Noticing the sight of things better left unseen. You stay low to the ground praying to be found. And healed from your self shackles to be unbound. Around and around searching you cannot rely on others. You must fly higher to reach the real love of fathers and mothers. Purples and oranges your feathers change for your now in limbo. You make changes and find truth, but appreciate how it wasn’t simple. You ignite into yellows and reds. Wanting so desperate to fight for love, marriage, children the things that everyone wishes and says. And you make it, higher and higher. Above us all and see that your on fire. As beautiful as a shooting star, and it’s yours. You opened the doors; you completed the chores, worked tirelessly until sore. And we watch from the floor. In awe, begging to be you, but we cannot copy, we cannot rewrite, we cannot remix. For you, are only like a phoenix.
Everyone stood up and clapped as she walked back to her seat next to Adrine. The priest walked up to the alter and said, “Now everyone may pay their last respects.” Everyone formed lines and touched the caskets and cried as they walked back to their seats. One man walked up and stood there with his palm on Lolita’s casket. He looked over at Analisette and said, “I should have been there for her; I was her uncle I should have taken care of her like her parents wanted. “ Analisette watched as everyone looked at him in shock and cried. She walked over to the man and said,”It’s not your fault, It will get better we just have to know she’s in a better place.” He hugged Analisette and she hugged him back then walked him to a nearby pew and sat with him as the Priest closed the service and walked the caskets out to the hearse.
Back at the main lobby of the apartment complex everyone grabbed something to eat, and the alcohol was gone before the first hour. Analisette and Adrine stood with Lolita’s uncle as he told stories of Lolita. Samantha and Marcus were close by listening to the conversation. The older people sat together and spoke of love and of Analisette's poem. Clifford and Minerva drank and were speaking of how they could make things work. Antonio and Ramona stopped by to say hi to everyone and pay their condolences to Analisette and Adrine then made their way back to Mona’s.  
Suddenly Rudolf stormed in, “What the hell is going on!” Everyone went silent. “Why the hell are all these people here! Get Out! Get Out!” Adrine walked over to Rudolf until he was a safe distance and said, “Rudolf, chill out. Lolita and Rick died, we’re here sharing stories and consoling each other.” Rudolf’s face was blank then he yelled, “I don’t give a fuck if that no rent paying slut and that faggot are dead, everyone get the hell out of my building!” Analisette spoke up, “Don’t you ever call them that you piece of shit!” Rudolf began to walk toward Analisette but Adrine broke his path,”You really want to go there Rudolf?” Rudolf gave Analisette a death stare and walked over to the table with chips and crackers and tossed it on the floor. Samantha spoke up, “What the fuck! You feel better about yourself? Can you fucking leave now?” Marcus pushed Samantha behind him and held his ground and held her back.  Rudolf looked around at everyone’s angry faces, seen Grace with her fingertips over her mouth and eyes widened. Rudolf took three big breaths and stormed off…

No comments:

Post a Comment